Sep 11, 2011

Dream(tape)

The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to a knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind.

-Sigmund Freud

I sat there in astonishment not knowing exactly what I needed to do with myself. I was happy, I was depressed, I was indifferent... every emotion imaginable seemed to of hit me at the exact same time, and it was at this moment that I realized that it was a movie that was making me feel this way. Me, the original alpha male, sitting there alone on the verge of a legitimate breakdown, crying my metaphorical eyes out because of something I'm watching on the fifteen inch screen of my laptop? Yes bro, that just happened, and even though it stings the ego having to recount this story via symbols and keystrokes, I'd much rather it be told over the internet as opposed to someone watching me have an emotional collapse (as if I needed anymore of those).

The movie in question was in fact a foreign film released not too long ago, conveniently entitled the Science of Sleep (I'll explain the significance in just a second). The feature recounts the story of a man who lives vicariously through his dream state while occasionally combining the realms of sleep and reality, even going as far as to mistake one for the other and vice versa. Eventually a female enters the picture and things seem to take a turn for the better... and then the worst, and then better, and then, well you get what I'm getting at. Things become complicated, and as he traversed between worlds I realized something with the soundtrack: it was perfect. Each song played was directly congruent to the lead characters' emotional state, allowing for the film to be seen as that much more real, that much more honest, that much more satisfying, and I found this to be beautiful.

After I got done wiping away my tears (both literal and metaphorical), I decided to do a bit of research in order to determine whether or not music has the capability to dictate the scenarios of our unconscious mind, and lo and behold, there does seem to be some fact to this. After acknowledging this tid bit of information, I decided to embark upon my very own dream journey by compiling the perfect playlist for the unconscious mind, so I hope you've got your ipods ready. 

The download is dissected into two different files: the standard itunes ready track by track mixtape, and for the die hard unconscious dreamers, an hour long, uninterrupted audio file, ready for repeated playback as you drift off into your dream state.



Previous mixes in case you've missed them:


Oh, and if you still feel like reading stuff, a few bros and I got together for a Watch The Throne Album review. Peep it here.

--------
Prayers for the lives lost during the tragedy of 9/11. I understand that this may comes off as an after thought, but it's never too late to send love to those who no longer possess the ability to exist.
-------- 
Sleep well

-JSTNRMN

No comments:

Post a Comment